Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wool Sweater Washing Day

Hiya

I'm washing our wool sweaters today, how exciting is that!

I have to have a washing day is because they are piling up.  I put them on the floor next to my desk chair so that I have to trip over them until it gets done, they have been there for a week now and I'm finally sick of it, how's that for motivation.
The goal is to get it clean without felting the dang thing. I have accidentally felted a few sweaters in my time and am much more careful now.
I like to do it myself instead of dry cleaning because I am super cheap frugal, I'm of the mind that if I can do it myself instead of paying someone else to do it I will, also I don't like all the chemicals used in dry cleaning.

First I fill the sink with room temperature water and a little bit of dish soap.   Place the article of clothing into the sink and gently press it down under the water making sure to agitate it as little as possible. Then let it soak for 20 minutes or so, let the water out and repeat without the soap to rinse.  Depending on the sweater and it's level of grubbiness I may soak it longer or rinse it a few more times.

Then take the sopping wet sweater out of the sink and lay it out flat on a towel
This particular sweater is my husbands favorite, we got it at a craft fair a few years ago and haven't been able to find one like it (for a reasonable price) since.  I am especially careful not to felt this one.
roll it up and walk on it to squeeze out excess water.
For this thick sweater I did this step twice.
Yep, wearing my sweats, If I'm at home I'm likely wearing sweats but won't leave the house in them.

Anyhoo...
Then lay it out flat on a towel to air dry.  Depending on the thickness of the sweater you may want to change out the towel after a couple hours.

Whoopie, a nice clean sweater all ready to be spilled on yet again.

3 comments:

Heather said...

It's a very nice sweater! Its always precarious washing sweaters, they're such ficle things!

Leah - The Inside Story said...

What a gorgeous sweater. I wouldn't want to wreck that either. By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog and now I have found yours and your pinterest. Thank-you. Leahx

Jaime Haney said...

Glad to see an new post :) What have you been up to besides washing wool? :D I have a comforter on my bed that desparately needs washing but it says dry clean only and I am just as frugal ;) as you. It is a king so there is no way it's going in the washing machine or the sink. Any ideas? I was thinking the tub, but how to dry??