Monday, August 29, 2011

Blackberry Dye


Did you know that you can dye fabrics naturally with things like turmeric, acorns, and blackberries?  I have been dying with tea and coffee for a while, but this is my first try with other items.  There are a ton of great resources online,  I found a great list of plants n such all separated into color categories.

This little batch of pinky purple fabrics I dyed with blackberries.  There may be a better way to do it, but I get bored reading lots of instructions, so I just improvised.  
I added to a large pot about one cup of blackberries with about 2 cups of water and 2 Tablespoons of salt 
let it boil for a while 
smooshed up the berries a bit 
added the fabric 
simmered for while
let it sit overnight
rinsed with water and vinegar
let dry

Fabulous!

The fabrics in the photo are (from left to right) cotton, raw silk and linen.

Have you used natural items to dye?
What did you use and how did it turn out?

No comments: